The theme of this year's conference is "Insurance & Pensions: Leading the Future". As in previous years, the conference will address the most topical issues facing the European (re)insurance and pensions sector.
EIOPA's annual conference is a unique opportunity for high-level contributions and exchange of views on recent regulatory and supervisory developments and related challenges in the (re)insurance and pensions sectors as well as for interesting and lively discussions.
In addition to keynote speeches, the conference will include the following three sessions:
- Insurance & Pensions in 2040, Conversation with Chief Executive Officers
- Climate Change: Are the Insurance and Pensions Sectors leading the way?
- Solvency II 2020 Review: Evident – Transparent – Simpler
For the most up-to-date programme, please see below.
If you would like to receive an invitation for this conference, please contact EIOPAConference@eiopa.europa.eu.
Insurance & Pensions: Leading the Future
08:00 – 09:00 Registration and Welcome Coffee
09:00 – 09:10 Welcome and Order of the Day
09:10 – 09:15 Welcome Address by the Host: Nils Stieglitz, President and Managing Director, Frankfurt School of Finance & Management
09:15 – 09:30 Opening Address – Insurance & Pensions: Future Strategic Priorities by Gabriel Bernardino, Chairman, European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority (EIOPA)
09:30 – 10:00 Keynote Address: Christine Lagarde, President - elect, European Central Bank (ECB) (invited)
10:00 – 11:15 Insurance & Pensions in 2040
Conversation with Chief Executive Officers:
- Are you prepared for the future?
- What are the biggest opportunities and the biggest risks?
- What changes are needed in the culture of the Board rooms?
- Are we promoting the right culture?
- Is the sector attracting the right skills?
- What is your strategic goal for 2040 and how will you achieve it?
- What should supervisors be concerned with?
Oliver Bäte, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Management Board, Allianz SE
Andreas Brandstetter, President, Insurance Europe and Chairman of the Management Board and CEO, UNIQA Insurance Group
Thomas Buberl, Chief Executive Officer, AXA
Christian Mumenthaler, Chief Executive Officer, Swiss Re
Stephan Binder, Senior Partner, Head of Insurance Practice Europe, McKinsey & Company
11:15 – 11:45 Coffee Break
11:45 – 12:15 Keynote Address - Climate Change: The Financial Sector's Role by Frank Elderson, Chairman of the Network for Greening the Financial System (NGFS) & Executive Board Member of De Nederlandsche Bank N.V. & Member of the Supervisory Board of the European Central Bank
12:15 – 13:30 Climate Change: Are the Insurance and Pensions Sectors leading the way?
- Climate change: Are the insurance and pensions sector leading the way?
- Insurability – Sustainability – Affordability: Are they indeed achievable?
- What role does innovation and digitalisation play?
- How to prepare and raise awareness of the younger generation?
- Does pensions sustainability go hand in hand with climate friendly investment?
- Can the Pan-European Personal Pension Product work for the climate sustainable purpose?
- How to close the protection gaps?
Claire Bronwyn, Senior Programme Manager, ClimateWise, Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership (CISL)
Stephanie Morton, Climate Finance Lawyer, Climate Programme of ClientEarth and Member of EIOPA's Insurance and Reinsurance Stakeholder Group (invited)
Eugenie Molyneux, Chief Risk Officer Commercial Insurance, Zurich Insurance Group
Allan Polack, Group Chief Executive Officer, PFA - Pension, Forsikringsaktieselskab
Rowan Douglas, Head of Capital Science and Policy Practice, Willis Towers Watson
13:30 – 14:45 Luncheon
14:00 – 14:30 Press Conference with Gabriel Bernardino, Chairman, European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority (EIOPA)
14:45 – 15:00 Solvency II 2020 Review: Evident – Transparent – Simpler
Impulse Statement by Åsa Larson, Executive Director, Finansinspektionen
15:00 – 16:15 Panel Discussion:
- Why is the review needed?
- How does the macro-side go with the micro-side?
- What to expect, more regulatory burden or less?
- Will the review meet its purpose?
Michaela Koller, Director General, Insurance Europe
Matt Rider, CFO and member of the Executive and Management Boards, Aegon N.V. and
Chair of the European Insurance CFO Forum (invited)
Didier Millerot, Head of Insurance and Pensions Unit, European Commission
Tony O'Riordan, Chief Financial Officer and Director, New
Ireland Assurance and Chair of Insurance Committee, Actuarial Association of
William Hawkins, Co-head of European Research (Insurance), Keffe, Bruyette & Woods
16:15 – 16:45 Keynote Address – Leading the Future: An Economy that works for People by N.N.
16:45 – 17:00 Closing Remarks by Fausto Parente, Executive Director, European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority (EIOPA)
17:00 – 18:00 Get-Together
*As of 15 October 2019 and subject to changes